Sometimes we all need to be reminded about stuff we already know. This goes for folks who are single, happily in relationships, dating over 50, young, old enough to be collecting Social Security—all of us.
This list of helpful life advice started out as an email pass-along that a friend sent to me. I have edited it, added to it, and deleted some items to make it a set of guidelines that will help you stay optimistic—no matter what experiences each day brings you.
1. Life doesn’t always seem fair, but it's still good.
2. When in doubt, just take the next small step.
3. Don't compare your life to others. You have no idea what their journey is all about.
4. Your job won't take care of you when you are sick. Your friends and family will.
5. Pay off your credit cards every month. And cut up the ones you aren’t using.
6. You don't have to win every argument. Just stay true to yourself.
7. Cry with someone. It's more healing than crying alone.
8. Make a conscious effort to attract positive, loving people into your life. Then don’t be surprised when the negative, crabby people drop out of your life.
9. When it comes to chocolate, resistance is futile.
10. Make peace with your past so it won't screw up the present.
11. It's OK to let your children see you cry.
12. Life is short. Try to enjoy every moment of it.
13. If a relationship has to be a secret, you shouldn't be in it.
14 Stop often to take a deep breath. It calms the mind.
15. Get rid of anything that isn't useful. Clutter weighs you down in many ways.
16. Whatever doesn't kill you really does make you stronger.
17. It's never too late to be happy. But it’s all up to you and no one else.
18. Go after what you love in life, and don't take “no” for an answer.
19. Burn the candles, use the nice sheets, wear the fancy lingerie. Don't save it for a special occasion. Today is special.
20. Over prepare, and then go with the flow.
21. Believe in miracles. You won’t experience them if you don’t believe in them.
22. Remember that the most important sex organ is the brain.
23. No matter how you feel, get up, dress up and show up.
24. Frame every so-called disaster with these words 'In five years, will this matter?'
25. Always choose life.
27. What other people think of you is none of your business.
28. Time heals almost everything. Let time do its job.
29. Life is change. Go with it.
30. Don't take yourself so seriously. No one else does.
31. Be eccentric now. Don't wait for old age to wear purple.
32. Plant a garden.
33. If you love someone, tell them “I love you” as often as you can.
34. Your children get only one childhood. Help them enjoy it.
35. Be nice to people, even when they don’t deserve it. But always stand up for yourself.
36. Get outside every day. Miracles are waiting everywhere.
37. If we all threw our problems in a pile and saw everyone else's, we'd grab ours back.
38. Be thankful.
39. You will be happier today if you are optimistic about tomorrow.
40. Life isn't tied with a bow, but it's still a gift.
Chad Stone, author of Confessions of a Middle-Aged Babe Magnet